I used to parenthesise courtesy accidentals, so as to differentiate them from
real (needed) accidentals, kind of as a wink to the performer as if to say, "I
know you know this is flat now, but this is just to keep you from having to
look back and waste CPU cycles thinking about it."

But I noticed that they were being misread a lot, and finally realised the
reason. A sharp has a much different outline than a flat, so we can identify
them without even really thinking about them. (Not so much a natural, which
looks like a sharp somewhat, but that's another story). As soon as you put
parentheses around an accidental, they ALL have the same outline, meaning that
you have look inside the parentheses to identify and interpret the symbol. This
might JUST be enough time to prevent a performer in a dense passage from making
the correct decision. Also, parentheses take up more horizontal space, messing
with the spacing, which is more important to correct rhythmic reading than I
ever thought before.

So, to wrap this up, I don't parenthesise accidentals any more. I just put them
in where I think they are needed, even if it isn't in accord with the rules of
notation.

Christopher