You may want to consider some of the open source alternatives to Illustrator
and Photoshop. Here is a link to an article presenting 35 free programs:

http://mashable.com/2007/10/27/graphics-toolbox/

Gimp is a good choice as a Photoshop alternative and InkSpace for vector
graphics like what Illustrator does.

Bernard Savoie
Montréal, QC, Canada
b.sav...@videotron.ca