On Sat, January 7, 2012 9:01 am, Bernard Savoie wrote:
> You may want to consider some of the open source alternatives to Illustrator
> and Photoshop. Here is a link to an article presenting 35 free programs:
> http://mashable.com/2007/10/27/graphics-toolbox/
> Gimp is a good choice as a Photoshop alternative and InkSpace for vector
> graphics like what Illustrator does.

Much as I like and use a lot of open source software (especially ImgBurn,
OpenOffice, VLC Media Player, Exact Audio Copy), The Gimp and InkSpace are
both very weak. I have them and neither one does proper imports. I updated
InkSpace yesterday just in case, but its vector work still does not use
embedded fonts, but rather looks them up on the system. And since Finale
renames and embeds the fonts with temporary names (depending on the version of
Finale and the Postscript output method), it won't find the fonts of the
system and you end up with the famous Finale gobbledygook. It also has no
option to edit text and reflows it -- you have to hand move each character.
Gimp is generally unable to do easy and effective handling of vectors. It's a
programmer's version of a graphics program rather than a graphics designer's
version; Photoshop and even the old Paint Shop Pro were far more advanced.

Dennis