On 2/10/2012 10:57 AM, SN jef chippewa wrote:
>   but i think molto rit. --
> or, better, molto ritenuto -- might better convey what you want.

I considered that. But an old teacher of mine used to say that one
should take into account those who are not playing as much as those who
are playing. For those who are not playing in that bar, or who have just
a quarter note on the beat in question, molto rit implies that the beat
continues in some fashion, and the left hand cues to the one moving
instrument will confuse the matter. A fermata on that beat clearly tells
the player that we're going to pause here a moment until the conductor's
baton gives the next beat.

Thanks,
Aaron.