SN jef chippewa wrote:

> i am doing a short orchestral score and in the final section the
> whole orchestra (and i assume audience) are invited to sing along on
> the tune "Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond".
>
> where would you mark the lyrics in the score?

You don't have to do it this way, but I'd add an extra staff to the
systems where the lyrics are being sung, and place the melody in the
desired range, and the lyrics in that extra score. In systems where the
instrments of the orchestra are playing, but no singing is occurring,
the staff assigned to the melody and lyrics can be hidden by any of the
usual means.

I think that assigning the lyrics to one of the existing instruments
will imply to a conductor that such lyrics are to be sung by members of
the the section under which the lyrics appear, and not necessarily by
the whole group, or by the audience.

ns