From: finale-boun...@shsu.edu [mailto:finale-boun...@shsu.edu] On Behalf Of
Steve Parker
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:08 AM
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: Re: [Finale] attacca vs. segue

Attacca indicates play through as if one piece.
Segue indicates applause (possibly) but no wait for dialogue or action.

Steve P.

On 14 Mar 2012, at 01:25, Mark D Lew <markd...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> John Howell wrote:
>
>> Subtle differences.  Segue ("follows") indicates
>> moving directly to the next thing, which often
>> requres a change of mood or meter or key, while
>> attacca (which I assume means "attack"!) means
>> connect without the slightest break.
>
> I'm at work and away from my dictionaries right now, but I'm certain that
the more direct cognate here is "attach", not "attack".  Attaccare means to
join together. The "attacca" marking surely should not be read as an
instruction to *attack* the next movement!

> (Ultimately the two words are connected. Our English word "attack" derives
from the Italian phrase "attaccare battaglia", to join in battle.)

> As for the original question, I agree with the consensus that they're
mostly synonymous, but "attacca" feels like it has a slightly greater sense
of urgency than "segue".