How about adding a 2/4 measure where you want it. Then before adding any notes,
change the measure to whatever the surround time signature happens to be.  Then
add your notes.  Readjust if necessary to get what you're looking for.  That is
if I understand your situation correctly.

J D Thomas
ThomaStudios