That is getting closer to what I need. My other message was in error.  I
said I didn't apply a staff style and instead simply clicked on the
measure from within the staff tool and set alternate notation.  That has
the undesirable result of setting EVERY measure to slash notation.

I think I get what I need by modifying the definition for slash notation
to show notes in all other layers, which is similar to your suggestion.

Thanks.