On 10/12/2012 3:07 PM, Robert Patterson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM, John Howell <john.how...@vt.edu> wrote:
>
>> since the
>> same folks who advocate concert pitch scores are
>> usually uncomfortable with the use of C clefs
>>

> This was a very good post down until this bit of smug nonsense. Is John
> prepared to suggest that Prokofiev was uncomfortable with C clefs?
>
> I think "concert pitch" scores make a lot of sense for contemporary pieces
> that lack key signatures, because without the key signature as a cue, it is
> difficult to tell the transposition at a glance. This practice has become
> quite standard in this style of music, recommended by many composition
> professors, and (as just mentioned) has a pedigree dating back at least to
> Prokofiev.
>
> I do think that one has to particularly careful about horn parts in a
> concert pitch setting: not the notation, but the way you write for it. But
> if you know what you are doing, there is no problem.

I agree that in many situations concert-pitch scores are preferable.
But I would never say in any sort of absolute way that there should be
only transposing scores or only be concert pitch scores.

Each serves a very useful purpose and people just need to learn to deal
with them.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com