I used audacity to do exactly this last week with some cassettes recorded
in 1984.  I simply plugged the output jack plug into the microphone socket
of my pc.

Maybe I should add that this was purely so that I could listen to them on
my cd player, not to make anything like a professional copy.  If the
cassettes are rare/valuable then you need to take all the precautions
outlined by Dennis (and it would do you no harm to take those precautions
anyway.)

Cheers,

Lawrence

On 1 December 2012 17:53, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz <bath...@maltedmedia.com>wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I do restoration, so here are a few suggestions.
>
> 1. Make sure your cassette player is in good shape -- clean, able to pull
> tapes without damage, heads aligned. If not, STOP and send it out.
> 2. Note the tape tape. If it's 120-minute tape, send it out.
> 3. First, do NOT play the tape. Rewind/play a few times to loosen the tape
> pack.
> 4. Repackage the cassette if you hear any binding at all (happy to send
> you a
> clear cassette case; I should have some left).
> 5. Again, wind, rewind. Check the splice where the leader joins the tape by
> winding the tape forward with a pencil.
> 6. Set the playback correctly on the cassette deck (tape type, dolby on or
> off, etc.)
> 7. Play some of the tape and make sure it's going correctly. If it fades
> in/out or gets muffled, STOP. The tape is slipping and it will be damaged.
> Send it out.
> 8. Otherwise, take a small phillips screwdriver and adjust the tape head
> angle
> for best high-frequency playback while the tape is playing. It may not need
> any adjustment, but in any case will be small.
>
> Once you've got it playing well, the rest is up to do you. I don't use
> Macs,
> so can't recommend conversion software. I'm on PC and use a Saffire Pro 40
> interface for conversion and clean up noise, etc., in Adobe Audition.
>
> Dennis
>

> On Sat, December 1, 2012 12:30 pm, Mark D Lew wrote:
> > I have a cassette tape recording from a live performance of mine from 20+
> > years ago, and I want to convert it to a digital format.  Nothing fancy.
> > just want to be able to listen to it on a CD player or iTunes.
> >
> > What's the simplest way to do that?  Is there some tool I can get to do
> it
> > myself, or should I take it to a service somewhere?  And if the latter,
> what
> > should I be looking for?
> >
> > I'm on Mac, and I do still have a cassette tape player with an output
> jack.

Lawrenceyates.co.uk