On Jan 20, 2013, at 9:38 AM, dc wrote:

> Suppose you have several verses under the same music, but with small
> variants in the syllabification between verses - two notes for one
> syllable in one verse but two syllables in another.
>
> What's the standard way of indicating this if the beaming follows the
> syllabification? Two stems, one with flags, the other with a beam? Or?

My standard practice goes something like this:

- First, I set it up so it looks exactly right for whichever verse is on top.

- Then, if another verse would require the notes to look differently, I'll add
those notes as on a second layer, as if it's a second instrument on the same
staff, and shrink them down to 75%.

- Where the only difference is slurring, not notes, then I'll use a dashed slur
for any slur which exists in one verse but not another (regardless of which is
which).

- And if all of this makes the page too cluttered, then that's a clue to me
that I should be writing out the verses separately.

>From your description, it sounds like maybe you use the traditional style
>where beams are broken for separate syllables. I typically use the modern
>style where beaming is done as if it were an instrument and doesn't reflect
>lyric syllabification. I think the general principles would be the same, but
>the traditional style might necessitate more reduced notes.

This is just a description of my general approach, not a prescriptive rule that
must be followed.  The larger goal is clarity, so I'd abandon my "rules" if
ever the situation called for it.

mdl