On Jan 21, 2013, at 5:35 AM, dc wrote:

> Many thanks to all for the sound advice. I'm still wondering if the
> reduction is absolutely necessary or not - i.e. whether it makes things
> clearer or not. I have three verses, but never more than two different
> configurations. I'm not quite sure either whether most of you are
> recommending reduction in the case of flagged 8th-notes with beams in
> another layer.
>
> Would you object to something like this (bearing in mind the old
> fashioned beaming style):
>
> <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15830163/2013-01-21_143346.jpg>

I still think reducing the downstem alternates is an improvement, but I have no
objection to it how it is.

The reason I think reducing the notes is an improvement is that even if it does
nothing to clarify the actual notes, for singers experienced in the style the
very existence of reduced downstem notes immediately communicates the idea
"this is alternate scansion for another verse" whereas two voices the same size
prompts a brief reaction of "huh? what is going on here?".

mdl