if you are still entering music it should be on.  once you are
cleaning up the parts, it should be off.  obviously it would be best
to do all the cues in the score before doing the parts, but i know
this is not always possible.  if you have started working on the
parts and then add music or cues and need the MM rests to break then
this can be done manually (selectively, not to the entire document)
after it has been turned off.

it really is a workflow issue (when you do what in which order).  i
don't see how this particular tool could be made intelligent enough
to "know" when i need it to be on/off.  so i need to know at what
point it can no longer help me "blindly" and turn it off.

is that clear?  this is one of those things that is just clear in my
head for the work i do and maybe i can't *explain* so clearly :-),
but i hope this helps.