I have a tympani roll that I want to be hit hard,
then immediately drop to almost nothing and
crescendo.   I haven't really messed with
percussion much, but I have the roll I want, and
the crescendo is fine.  I can't seem to get it
*hit* hard enough (or at all!).  The expressions
dialogue has a 'sffz', but again, there is not enough *attack*.

I have come across this enough when playing, but
that was on trombone...   We called it a
sforzando-piano, but I can't find any reference
to this in the finale manual.  Tell a lie,
amazing what 'search' can bring you!    It is in
there as sfz, but that doesn't give the initial thump I am looking for.

Is there something I am missing here?

Thanks,

Phil.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend.
Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” ­ Groucho Marx