From: "Phil Buglass" <bloke...@comcast.net>
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Finale] sforzando-piano

[Ok, I guess I can't send the file.  At 46KB, it
is too big, unless approved by the
moderator.  So, maybe this message will arrive
again later, with the file attached, who  knows?]

Yeah, I was thinking about the
photographer...   I am pretty sure that I *am* THE Phil Buglass!

I couldn't figure out how to make the 'shape'
affect the sound.  It didn't seem to matter how I
changed things, the sound was just the same - or as far as I could tell.

I ended up having a fortissimo 8th note, followed
by a roll, crescendoing from piano to FFF.
That gives me the punch I was looking for - and
this is to be played by the computer, rather than
looked at by musicians.   I am working on a piece
to be played in church in the summer, when we (the choir) aren't singing.

What I am getting now, though, is still pretty
strange.   The roll crescendos nicely till the
end of the measure, where the note is tied over
to the next measure, and right in the middle of
the crescendo.  The volume drops, and then starts to crescendo again...

I am sending the test file I was working with, so
you can see what I mean.  It's pretty small, so
shouldn't hurt anyone's download speed.

The main purpose of this was to figure out how to
do a roll properly, and at least that part is
working.   I am reading up on a bunch of
orchestration books, trying to figure this stuff
out.  Percussion is the biggest bugbear though,
they don't use the same notation as 'real'
musicians (ducking and running for cover...)

Have a listen to this file, and see if it makes sense to you.

Thanks,

Phil.