No, they are not repeating notes.  Besides, it is
a 2-measure phrase which repeats several times
among different voices, and all the others play
ok.  Just the alto line, which is turned up
pretty high, and marked forte right at that entry.

I have tried this new stripped-down copy both
with and without HP, but it doesn't seem to make much difference either way.

Phil.