After watching Tom Johnson of Finale scan in clinics with relative ease I have
gone back to scanning. He tells us that certain scanners are better than others
for scanning and that a dpi of 500 or better will achieve optimal results. 300
dpi is pretty awful in scanning music even though we were all told that long
ago it was acceptable. I watched Tom scan in a random band score at the Midwest
clinic in Dec. and it produced every note that was on the page correctly as
seen using the free version of smartscore lite. Yes there were no text on the
scanned page but he also added that instead of taking the scanned page and
turning it into your finished doc you should copy the info from it and paste
into a new doc set up how you want the final score to look like.

J. Scott Jones
Band/Orchestra Director/Freelance Trumpet Player-Teacher/Music Engraver

Sent from my i5