That does seem to be the experience of the majority.  However, the
vendors claim great success and apparently some people are finding it
good enough to use, at least occasionally.  If there are
hardware/software/parameter combinations that improve the results, I'd
like to discover that because I would use this function a lot if it
didn't require manually editing every single measure.

I still believe that the goal for software should be, "If the human
brain can easily do it, then software ought to be able to reach that
same level."  Clearly even in the most optimistic case, music
recognition software is only 5% of the way toward that ideal.