Darcy,

I remembered this after I posted, but it still doesn't help because my cue
staves are complex keyboard staves with lots of use of multiple layers.
Unfortunately the Blank Notation with Rests applies only to one layer.

What I have discovered is that if I can but get the multimeas rest created
it will work (even without the Blank Notation style). Jari has sent me a
sample script that I can probably modify to do it. If anyone is interested
I'll share if I can get it working.