Thanks David,

Been there, done that etc.  I've also tried creating a new folder and
adding files to that - all of them are visible in Finale and can be opened,
none of them are visible in WE.

I've tried changing the options in WE and that makes no difference.

I'm really at a loss to find an explanation.

Although I can open the files from within Finale, the problem came to light
when I needed to move some recent files to a USB stick in order to work on
them on my laptop.  I finished up having to open Finale, open the files,
Save As etc etc which took about twenty times as long as simply dragging
them in WE.

I'd be grateful for anything to try!

Cheers,

Lawrence