[Finale 2009]

Using VST instruments for Finale, I have a poly-choral work I would like
to have sound as if the ensembles are spaced left and right.  I can go
into VST instruments and set up the spacing how I want but when I try
playback, the settings have been ignored and when I go back into VST
instruments, they are at their default settings.  This also happens with
the volume control, which needs adjusting so the cor anglais is not
louder than the oboe.
Is there a parameter somewhere else that I need to set?

Regards,
Michael Lawlor