Sorry I can't help because I don't use Mac.

But this raises a question for me.  I wasn't aware of this Change
Instrument feature.  Whenever I have had a player with doubles, I have
set up a staff for each instrument, put them all together in manage
parts, then use Hide Empty Staves so that there is only one staff on the
part.  That is straightforward and has always worked fine for me.

My question is whether this Change Instruments feature is significantly
easier (assuming it all works correctly).

I guess the Change Instrument approach would end up with fewer
instruments in the score, which would be a benefit.

Basically this is a question of what is the best practice.