Thanks for the clarification, Chuck. I frequently set up my windows systems
as you describe: with a D: drive for data and some apps. (Finale, for
example.) Although these days all my Windows installs are virtual. (The SP3
changes that, though.)

And I indeed understand the issue of the microSD not being an extension of
C: drive. Macs have the analogous situation.