On issues of notation, I always take everything jef says as if it was gospel.

However, a parenthesized courtesy accidental is a prime example of a notation
saying “this is not a typo” and a non-parenthesized one is similar. I sometimes
put the eyeglasses glyph over a passage that is likely to make musicians look
twice, in order to make them look twice and improve the chances that they will
perform it correctly (this is jazz notation). I think there are notations that
are more authoritarian and less authoritarian. jef, you must deal with degrees
of aleatoric-ness all the time, no?

Christopher