i would never use this notation and would strongly discourage anyone
who asked me from using it :-)

crumb "invented" a lot of things.  so did a lot of other composers.
some ideas are good.  some ain't.

since we write out the full note values in other measures, there is
no reason to do anything different in a 5/4 bar (half tied to dotted
half, or inverse).  one of the things i do early on in any
ensemble/orch score i get is to standardize all 5/4 and 7/4 measures
-- notes AND rests -- so that every musician has the same
subdivisions showing (the ones that the conductor will use) in their
part.

of course there is the discrepancy with 5/4, 9/4 and 11/4 etc. that
they can't be represented with single note (with/out dots) values
like the other 90% of time sigs, but this in fact helps them stand
out in a positive way.  standing out in a negative way for me would
be the solution you propose.  musicians have to learn a new
non-standard notation on the metric level, where there are virtually
no exceptions that may have to be learned on a score-to-score (or
composer-to-composer) basis (in contrast to noteheads and
articulations).

plus graphically your twin-dotted notehead no longer sits in the
proper rhythmic position and is unaligned with other non-full-measure
vales on the downbeat.

--

neueweise -- fonts for new music (and traditional) notation
http://newmusicnotation.com/fonts.html

shirling & neueweise | http://newmusicnotation.com
new music notation  +  arts management  +  translation
[FB] http://facebook.com/neueweise  |  [TW] http://twitter.com/neueweise