There are a number of issues here.

First of all, if you tell Finale to use Default spelling, it sometimes doesn’t
make the right decision. You can either change the spelling manually, or use a
different default. I generally use this when I enter chords, because Finale
will usually choose F Ab C rather than F G# C if you hold down an F minor
chord. Chords it doesn’t recognize (like many jazz chords) are up for grabs.
They may be spelled correctly, or not, according to the direction the wind is
blowing and the moon phase.

Favour Sharps, or Favour Flats are two of the defaults I use regularly. There
is no keyboard command to toggle these, so I have assigned them myself on my
Mac using the System Preference. This is pretty much bulletproof, but you have
to remember to set it, and if you enter a passage with the “wrong” setting, you
have to go back and change them manually using one of two methods. This method
is far from perfect, because if you have chosen one of these defaults and enter
an F#dim7 chord, either the F# or the Eb will be spelled incorrectly.

There is also “Use Spelling Tables” and you can set them according to the key
you are in, major or minor. These seem to be broken since many versions now, or
else I simply don’t understand them, because they have never worked properly
for me.

The two manual methods for flipping enharmonics (or three, really, but the
third one is stupidly broken) are as follows:

1. Set Favour Sharps or Favour Flats and with the Speedy cursor on the chord or
note, hold down the pitch on the MIDI keyboard and hit Enter. Finale will use
whatever setting is in the Enharmonic Spelling at the moment to spell the chord
or note that way. This is the same as when you originally enter the pitch.
Spelling changed this way will stick properly.

2. For a while on single-note parts, I took to entering notes with accidentals
as diatonic notes, then hitting + or - immediately after the fact to change it
to a higher or lower alteration. This is also bulletproof.

3. Finale’s OFFICIAL way to switch enharmonics in Speedy is to set the cursor
on the note and hit 9. If you set the cursor on a chord and it is not exactly
on a notehead, it will cycle through every possible spelling, starting with the
lowest note in the chord, every time you press 9. If you ARE exactly on a
notehead, it will only respell this pitch. But this has been broken for many,
many versions now, as it doesn’t stick properly. It very well may flip back on
you without you doing anything, even when you are working on some other staff.
It is especially bad if you have ever hit 9 more than once on the same stem.
They claim to have fixed it, but it is still maddeningly broken. There is no
telling how this will turn out, so never touch it, is my advice. Use one of the
other methods.

Christopher