Thank you, gentlemen, for all the great suggestions.  (It was quite a "duh"
moment to be reminded of the bow on cymbal and gong, as I heard effects
like these for many years in much of the new music that we performed in the
Louisville Orchestra.) I went to the local high school band room today and
tried some of them out for myself. Well, anyway, your suggestions were a
great help! Great list!