Leaving aside what happened with BIAB, how is Dorico more automatic than
Finale with respect to beams and ties? (I don't doubt it is. I'm just
curious how.) I tend to distrust a lot of automation, unless it can be
overridden on a case-by-case basis.

What I expect the company that owns Finale to do is to continue addressing
pain points. That's what I hope they'll do anyway. Address enough pain
points and I suppose it won't matter if it's on the vanguard. I'm not sure
I even know what "state of the art" means.

Are there notations Finale won't do that it should? Absolutely: multihandle
smart shapes, for example. And I believe Dorico *does* that, at least for
slurs. Finale should have added it years ago, and there is nothing
precluding them from adding them now. But that's not revolutionary change.
Is there a notation Finale won't do that requires revolutionary change? I'm
not sure. What might it be?