I actually the problem is the opposite of what you stated. I believe that
certain fonts see the problem whereas more mainstream fonts don't. For
example, neither Times nor Helvetica/Arial see the problem but New York
does. New York is a fairly obscure font, but it happens to be the one I use.

I would not say the problem is solved. But at least the steps to reproduce
it have been refined and narrowed.