On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 07:04, melinda thompson wrote:
> sorry for sending the wrong address.
>
>   following the instructions for installayion for new jaguar users, but
> i got confused and thought i was using instrudtions for upgrading. i
> removed and reinstalled fink and started again from the new users
> instructions. the result being  ,bootstrap,sh either with with or with
> or without sudo in /sw and several subdirectories gives command not
> found. so far i've gotten no further, so i removed fink again. i went
> through the installlation program long enough to see it says upgrade
> then backed out.

You shouldn't use the fink 4.1 installer (the clickable one) _at all_ on
10.2--it's for 10.1 only.

> current situation is "unknown files may have had their perms changed
> making my box unboobable" i can't afford to wipe it and start over.  i
> have os x 10.2 cds, and after i instqlled those applied several
> security and other patches to it. so it is now 10.2.2.

It should not be unbootable if you didn't run the binary installer twice
(i.e. click on Upgrade).

> does anyone know which files get perms changed that make it unbootable?
>   fink is NOT installed again because it says upgrade during install.

Do the following:

ls -lad / /etc /etc/ /var /var/

You should see something like

drwxrwxr-t   39 root     admin        1326 Oct 23 19:19 /
lrwxrwxr-t    1 root     admin          11 Oct 23 19:19 /etc ->
private/etc
drwxr-xr-x  103 root     wheel        3502 Oct 17 11:29 /etc/
lrwxrwxr-t    1 root     admin          11 Oct 23 19:19 /var ->
private/var
drwxr-xr-x   22 root     wheel         748 Oct 23 19:19 /var/

If what you get has all the x's in the right places, then there should
be no problem.  If not, it's pretty simple to fix.

> Can anyone walk me through this and or get me silc (an encrypted chat
> client.

Check the permissions issue first.

Then try the bootstrap again.

> sorry again for not being complete.
>
> melinda
>

> thanks for any help in advance

Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University
visiting MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center
Levitated Dipole Experiment
175 Albany Street, NW17-219
Cambridge, MA  02139-4213