The calls to X cannot find a defined and instantiated display device.

Three possible reasons:

1. Have you installed xfree86? read the FAQ section on the web site regarding this.

2. Do you have a shell variable DISPLAY defined in your .tcshrc file in your home
directory (assuming you use tcsh as your login shell) as follows?
# tcsh syntax
if (! $?DISPLAY) then
setenv DISPLAY :0.0
endif

3. Did you launch X by executing "startx -- -quartz & or "startx -- -quartz -rootless" (if you installed rootless X)
in the shell?

See the FAQ on the fink site