I'm not sure what the current state of the art on USB printers and the
command-line/Xwindows on OSX is.  Maybe someone who actually has a local
printer hooked up will have more info.

A workaround would be to print to a postscript file and use Ghostscript
to generate a PDF file.  Then you can print it from Preview.

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 21:07, Garry Ballenger wrote:

> I have a nice 5.0a Fink installation which runs Evolution on a Powerbook
> 667 with 1 GB ram. I cannot get it to print.  Gnome, as well as Gnome
> print is installed.  5.0a I can find in the Gnome setup applications
> nothing that mentions printers.  When I try to print out of EvolutionIt
> says my printer is Generic Postscript on lpr.  I have a HP Deskjet 1220c
> attached to a print server that my Powerbook attaches to via Appletalk.
> I also have an Epson 2000P that is on a hub attached to a USB port on
> the Powerbook.
>
> Having brushec by Linux in the past I remember there are .conf files to
> ecit as well as other things needed to get this installation to see the
> printers available on the Powerbook that underlies the whold program.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> GArry BAllenger

Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University
visiting MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center
Levitated Dipole Experiment
175 Albany Street, NW17-219
Cambridge, MA  02139-4213