Hi Brett,
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:05:24 +1000, Brett Duncan wrote:
> Hi
>
> not so long ago, I decided to try OpenOffice on my G4 laptop. I
> installed Apple's X11, then OpenOffice, and all was happy.
>
> Then I installed Fink, and FinkCommander, and tried installing a
> few other packages (such as Links). Still everything was OK.
>
> Then I decided to install gnubg. FinkCommander stopped to
> indicate that there was a dependency and wanted to install
> system-xfree86. OK I said.

Maybe here's the error. Fink should have asked earlier about either
installing system-xfree86 or its own xfree86.

My way was nearly the same as yours. I installed Apple's X11, the
SDK and afterwards OpenOffice but directly after that I installed
fink, searched in the Fink FAQ, found this page here
http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/x11/inst-xfree86.php read it at
least three times really carefully, installed system-xfree86 and
from this point on I had no problems. Even a switch back to
Xfree86.orgs Xfree86 4.3.0 was no problem, just deleted Appl's X11,
installed Xfree86 4.3.0, did a fink selfupdate-cvs, and nothing
more was needed until last week or so the new system-xfree splitt
off came but the node error is explained in the FAQ too. I simply
did as described and fink and X are still running smoothly. The
only reinstall of X was needed becaus of a totally messed up
fontserver and fontconfiguration during the first installation of
Xfree86 4.3.0.

> But the install failed. This was the message:
>
>> dpkg: regarding .../system-xfree86_4.2-11_darwin-powerpc.deb
>> containing system-xfree86:
>>  system-xfree86 conflicts with x11
>>   xfree86-base provides x11 and is broken due to postinst failure.
>> dpkg: error processing

/sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/system-xfree86_4.2-11_darwin-powerpc.deb

>> (--install):
>>  conflicting packages - not installing system-xfree86
>> Errors were encountered while processing:

/sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/system-xfree86_4.2-11_darwin-powerpc.deb
>> ### execution of dpkg failed, exit code 1
>> Failed: can't install package system-xfree86-4.2-11

There could be another error. Which Version of Apple'x X11 do you
have installed? If you have a beta3 then you made the right
decision to choose system-xfree86-4.2.11 but that probably must be
some time ago.

A "fink list system-xfree86" shows me that the latest version for
system-xfree for Apple X11 beta3 is system-xfree86 4.2-1. So you
should try to get this latest version but prior to this you should
remove your current system-xfree86 by using this command here:
"sudo dpkg -r --force-all system-xfree86". Now you should run a
fink selfupdate or fink selfupdate-cvs to get the latest fink
version and the lates packet describition for system-xfree86.
During this selfupdate you are either asked from fink itsself which
system-xfre86 version you would like to install, in this case
select the number standing in fron of system-xfree86 4.2.-1, or you
do the installtion of system-xfree86 directly after the selfupdate.
This is how it goes. Since there should be binaries for
system-xfree86 avaible a simply "sudo apt-get install
system-xfree86-42" should do it. It this doesn't do its jo try
"sudo apt-get install system-xfree86" and see if a dialogue comes
up in which you are asked which version of system-xfree86 to
install. Here choose system-xfree86-42.

Now to finish it all again do a fink selfupdate-cvs to get the
latest fink for your system cause during the former selfupdate some
depenciesor packages could have been blocked or not resolved cause
of the wrong system-xfree86.

> Please??

You're welcome to try my above suggestions.

Eric Hoch