Hi Eric,

At 9:05 AM +0200 26/8/03, Eric Hoch wrote:
Hi Brett,
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:05:24 +1000, Brett Duncan wrote:
Hi

 not so long ago, I decided to try OpenOffice on my G4 laptop. I
 installed Apple's X11, then OpenOffice, and all was happy.

 Then I installed Fink, and FinkCommander, and tried installing a
 few other packages (such as Links). Still everything was OK.

 Then I decided to install gnubg. FinkCommander stopped to
 indicate that there was a dependency and wanted to install
 system-xfree86. OK I said.

Maybe here's the error. Fink should have asked earlier about either installing system-xfree86 or its own xfree86.

[snip]

A "fink list system-xfree86" shows me that the latest version for
system-xfree for Apple X11 beta3 is system-xfree86 4.2-1. So you
should try to get this latest version but prior to this you should
remove your current system-xfree86 by using this command here:
"sudo dpkg -r --force-all system-xfree86". Now you should run a
fink selfupdate or fink selfupdate-cvs to get the latest fink
version and the lates packet describition for system-xfree86.
During this selfupdate you are either asked from fink itsself which
system-xfre86 version you would like to install, in this case
select the number standing in fron of system-xfree86 4.2.-1, or you
do the installtion of system-xfree86 directly after the selfupdate.
This is how it goes. Since there should be binaries for
system-xfree86 avaible a simply "sudo apt-get install
system-xfree86-42" should do it. It this doesn't do its jo try "sudo apt-get install system-xfree86" and see if a dialogue comes
up in which you are asked which version of system-xfree86 to
install. Here choose system-xfree86-42.

Now to finish it all again do a fink selfupdate-cvs to get the
latest fink for your system cause during the former selfupdate some
depenciesor packages could have been blocked or not resolved cause
of the wrong system-xfree86.

It was looking bleak there for a moment - new errors were popping up. But the problem seemed always to be with X11 either conflicting or missing something. So I downloaded a fresh copy of the betas from Apple, installed them again, then followed your instructions, and things now seem to be happening properly.

Thanks very much for your help Eric. It's greatly appreciated.
--

Brett Duncan,
Information Technology Coordinator

------------------------------------------------------- This sf.net email is sponsored by:ThinkGeek Welcome to geek heaven. http://thinkgeek.com/sf _______________________________________________ Fink-beginners mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fink-beginners