Thanks to Alexander and Eric for the suggestions.

However the problem persists since:
open /sw/bin/pathsetup.command
will just open a new Terminal.app window and tell me that all is fine (also when the command is issued in a X11 window).
Editing the .profile does not help, since for some reason X11 does not load this file on startup. It does load .bashrc though, but Terminal.app doesn't. I tried:
source .profile
in the .basrc file which *will* give me the /sw tree, still leaves out all of Gerben Wierda's $PATH changes since they reside in /etc/profile. Should I 'souce' this file as well?

Thanks for any help,
Steffen