Daniel Johnson wrote:
[]
Weirder and weirder. When I tried "fink rebuild pwlib" like you just did, it worked. But, It definitely did NOT work during a "fink update-all" using the same version of fink. I've been looking at the dependency engine to see if I can follow what it's doing, but it sure is complex.

It is possible that in the list of packages to be installed by update-all, there was one that BuildDepends on bison. In this case, whether the BuildConflicts or the BuildDepends prevails is a matter of chance. Fink constructs only one dependency list at the beginning of its run and tries to stick to it. This is a long-standing problem that causes breakage in other situations, too (typically one package BuildDepends on db3, another on db4, and which one of the two conflicting db? packages will be present when the packages are actually built is anyone's guess). There is actually even a bugtracker item open on this, by "Mr. fink" dmacks himself, IIRC. It will not be possible to fix this without a profound rewriting of the fink dependency engine.

It is good practice when update-all fails to try to update just the failing package individually. Note that this is not guaranteed to solve the problem, because even in the list of dependencies of one single package there may appear conflicts of the type I described above.

--
Martin

------------------------------------------------------- SF.Net email is sponsored by Shop4tech.com-Lowest price on Blank Media 100pk Sonic DVD-R 4x for only $29 -100pk Sonic DVD+R for only $33 Save 50% off Retail on Ink & Toner - Free Shipping and Free Gift. http://www.shop4tech.com/z/Inkjet_Cartridges/9_108_r285 _______________________________________________ Fink-beginners mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fink-beginners