Alexander:

> I wasn???t monitoring your bug report for Xfig, but the person who
> responded on the ticket let me know about it.  I???ve updated xfig
> appropriately, and the fix works for me.  Look for version 3.2.6-3
> of xfig when you do a ???fink selfupdate'.

YAY!!!! It works!!!!

I had a bit of trouble so for the record here's what I did and what
happened:

I did:
fink selfupdate
fink update-all

No problem.

Then lanunch xfig:

% xfig
Error: Can't open display:
/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.3XMvjpgNfo/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

But also:

% xterm
xterm: Xt error: Can't open display:
/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.3XMvjpgNfo/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

So I googled that error:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=+Xt+error:+Can%27t+open+display:

> Also, check that you have X11 installed on the client end. I was
> getting this issue when I upgraded my Mac to OS X Mountain Lion.
> Mountain Lion removes X11, so you have to install it again via the
> open source X Quartz project. http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing

That jumps to

https://www.xquartz.org/

I already had that installed, but started the install anyway and it
said:

> If this is your first time installing XQuartz, you may wish to
> logout and log back in.  This will update your DISPLAY environment
> variable to point to XQuartz.app rather than X11.app.  If you would
> prefer to keep using X11.app as your default server (you can still
> launch XQuartz.app manually), you'll want to disable
> /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist using
> launchctl(1).

So I figured I would complete the install (in case some component
was somehow broken).  It installed cleanly.

I restarted my machine and now xfig works - I can type
into the boxes, create figures, save them.

HUGE THANKS!!!!

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator