On Friday, January 18, 2002, at 10:41 AM, David R. Morrison wrote:
> First, are you making the built-in /usr/bin/emacs part of this system?
> Will add-ons automatically get byte-compiled for it?
That would be tough to do cleanly. In order for a given emacs binary to
hook into the emacsen-common system, it has to change its load-path at
compile time (or else it won't look in the directory where the
fink-installed packages will be placed). It might be possible for a user
to manually hook in by adding something to her .emacs file though. I'll
look into it...

Otherwise we'd need to start installing things into /usr/share/emacs
which seems to be a bit of a no-no.

> Second, do you anticipate that all of fink's emacs packages will be
> part of this system in the near future?  Right now it is tricky, with
> the emacs packages in stable NOT being part of this system.  It would
> be great if xemacs could be made part of the same system.  Also, I'm
> not sure what the role of emacs-alpha is.

The fink emacs packages are, as you can see, in a state of transition.
Here's a quick summary:

The plain `emacs' and `emacs-nox' packages were maintained by Christoph
based on apple's darwin port. I took over the emacs-nox in unstable a
while back, updating it to version 21.1 (`emacs' is still at version
20.7 b/c I haven't found a way to build 21.1 reliably under X). Neither
of these uses emacsen-common and won't be updated to do so (see below).

emacs-alpha uses Andrew Choi's carbon patches to run either under the
terminal or with a GUI under aqua. However, it's still pretty unstable.
This is a problem for emacsen-common, because if any of the installed
emacs binaries dies during byte-compilation of a package, the entire
install process dies too. I think I'll wait for Andrew's next release
before hooking in emacs-alpha.

emacs20, emacs20-nox, and emacs21-nox are the emacsen-common compliant
versions of the plain packages (`emacs' and `emacs-nox'). The emacs20
packages are pretty much unchanged from Christoph's versions aside from
calling emacsen-common. These three packages are the future, and it may
be time to phase out `emacs' and `emacs-nox', or turn them into bundles
suggesting the use of emacs20{,-nox} or emacs21-nox.

Any thoughts on whether that's too rash?

-christian