Trying to update my unstable packages at home, I run into problems with
gdk-pixbuf-shlibs-0.16.0-2 and gdk-pixbuf-0.16.0-3. Both of these
packages complained about not being able to find library `' (Yes, that's
an empty string).
I traced the build and found the following:

  - libtool is run by /bin/sh which on MacOS X is a link to zsh (3.0.8 on
my machine).
  - libtool sets CDPATH to :, because in zsh, apparently CDPATH is
considered "set" although it doesn't show up in printenv.
- This setting, which is supposed to SUPPRESS printing the destination
directory for cd with relative pathnames, actually FORCES printing the
destination with zsh.
- Therefore, the line
    absdir=`cd "$dir" && pwd`
  sets absdir to contain TWO copies of the directory path, not one.

This eventually produces the error I saw.

It was not very difficult to get the packages to build by simply putting
in a line

perl -i -ne 'print unless /CDPATH/' libtool ltconfig ltmain.sh

after running configure. But I'm still puzzled. The libtool looks
exactly like all the other libtools in other fink
packages. Why does this problem not occur with other packages? And why,
for that matter, has notbody else apparently had problems with
gdk-pixbuf?

Matthias