Matthias Neeracher wrote:

> Tracing this incident further back, I noticed that the assignment to
> absdir is not exercised in most executions of libtool. The reason it was
> exercised on my machine is that my gnome-config there seems to differ
> from that on the other machine I use (which works fine):
>
> localhost% gnome-config --libs gnomeui
> -L/sw/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L.libs -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl -lgdk_imlib -lSM
> -lICE -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -ldl -lintl -lXext -lX11 -lgnome
> -lgnomesupport -lesd -laudiofile -lm -lglib
>
> The -L.libs doesn't really have any business being there, does it? How
> did it get there?

Was your gnome-libs built while esound was at version 0.2.23-1? There
was a "SetLIBS: -L.libs" for some reason or other which caused the
"library=`'" bug for me when rebuilding sawfish. It was removed on
2002/02/22 in version 0.2.23-2. When gnome-libs is compiling the library
lists for gnome-config, it might be using esd-config (I am guessing,
have not yet checked this).