Kyle,

I agree that we need to improve fink to respond better in those circumstances.
The problem has been with us ever since users have been prompted for a
choice (from late October or early November).  For example, if a user
attempts to install bundle-tetex, he/she is repeatedly asked to choose
between system-tetex and another package, even though all of those other
packages conflict with system-tetex.

The improvement that we need, though, is not a restructuring.  It is to
implement checking of the "Conflicts" field.  At present, fink basically
ignores it and only dpkg sees it at the end of the process.

If you've read the code and have suggestions about implementing  this
additional part of fink, that would be great.

  -- Dave