THE
most important change
you should consider is. . .

Source Packages much like the true Debian distributions.

Contains all source code & fink patches in one .deb file.

So when the upstream author changes his code,
or the site is down, or she moves the file, or. . .

fink install whatever
won't immediately break and remain broken until
a fink person gets around to fixing it!!!

As a DebianUser [68K, PPC, x86]
this has been my biggest complaint with FINK.

The constant surprise of:
well, it worked two days ago on my machine. . .
is the biggest letdown when trying to evangelize
and demonstrate FINK to others.
Makes fink look really unreliable.

These other issues seem to be
normal growing pains.