Jeff,

My suggestion is to make yourself a directory in the "experimental" CVS
module, and put the updated version there.  That way, people who need
it can be pointed to it, but someone who doesn't have the latest fink
from cvs won't be messed up.  After the next package manager release,
you can move it to the unstable tree (with the dependency as you suggest).

  -- Dave