On Thursday, Sep 26, 2002, at 01:26 Europe/Brussels, Ben Hines wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 25, 2002, at 09:42  AM, jfm wrote:
>>
>> Finally, only 2 packages 'depend' on libxpm : swi-prolog and wmmail .
>> Do they really need it ? Or would the lib from X11 be OK too ?
>> Would it be possible to
>> a) either delete libxpm altogether, or
>> b) have those 2 packages offer an option like        libxpm | x11
>> c) or have xfree86-base to provide libxpm ?
And I meant in case b or c to have also a conflict between x11 and
libxpm...

> mm, yes this could be a problem. Was this previously discussed?

Not that I remember _ but I'm not following this list since long, nor
systematically..
And the only relevant thing an archive search for 'libxpm' reveals is:
http://www.mail-archive.com/fink-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/
msg02310.html
which is less informative than my msg of yesterday.

> Seems like we should get rid of the package.

(a) was my first choice. But I was waiting whether the maintainers of
the 2
depending packages and of libxpm wanted to argue differently,
or whether they agreed...

> Anyway I just did an otool -L /sw/bin/* .. The only two that linked
> against /sw/lib/libXpm were nedit and sunclock. Nothing in /sw/lib
> linked against it.

I had launched yesterday evening a rebuild of that long list with libxpm
and libxpm-shlibs removed, so when I found your msg this morning, there
remained only 18 packages that could possibly have problems. Among those
18, otool -L /sw/bin/* shows that oleo, sunclock, lyx, rxvt-ml, siag
and xfce all
linked against /sw/lib/libXpm : a non-negligible proportion.
And I can't easily check in /sw/lib ("/usr/bin/otool: Argument list too
long.")...

JF Mertens