On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 11:17, Carsten Klapp wrote:

> I will concede to this point too that packages should compile the same
> on everybody's system, or else it causes a nightmare for the user to
> select and for maintainers to maintain all these separate minimal
> packages, as I found out when trying to make placeholder packages for
> OpenSSL.

Another thing to be aware of is that one of the things that has been
discussed for eventual implementation is something along the line of
BSD's "flavors"; some kind of support for proper variants on packages,
so that an app that depends on x11 can easily install any x11 that
provides the right libraries, but if x11 only adds extra functionality,
you can build a version without that support.

It will take extensions to both the fink tools and the debian tools to
work properly, which is why no one's jumped up to take a swing at it
yet.