On Saturday, November 9, 2002, at 04:01  PM, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:

On Saturday, November 2, 2002, at 10:43 PM, Ben Hines wrote:

This probably also explains why i have no sections in dselect... Does anyone?
I do, for some packages (both available and installed). On the Debian system, the section comes from the Packages and Packages.gz files which are maintained by the ftp masters.

scanpackages *should* generate these files in Fink; after that, "sudo deselect update" or "sudo apt-get update" may be required to make dselect see them.

It does generate the files, and the sections do show up in the "Packages" files. But that doesn't help. The sections have to be in the "available" file.

% sudo dselect update
Err file: local/main Packages
File not found
Ign file: local/main Release
Err file: stable/main Packages
File not found
Ign file: stable/main Release
Err file: stable/crypto Packages
File not found
Ign file: stable/crypto Release
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net release/main Packages
... snip...
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net current/crypto Release
Failed to fetch file:/sw/fink/old/dists/local/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages File not found
Failed to fetch file:/sw/fink/old/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages File not found
Failed to fetch file:/sw/fink/old/dists/stable/crypto/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages File not found
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

update available list script returned error exit status 1.
Press <enter> to continue.

So it looks like this at least, is a problem with my sources.list:

# Allow APT to find pre-10.2 deb files
deb file:/sw/fink/old local main
deb file:/sw/fink/old stable main crypto
#deb file:/sw/fink/old unstable main crypto

Removing those "old" entries, lets me update "available":

Merging Available information
Replacing available packages info, using /sw/var/cache/apt/available.
Information about 708 package(s) was updated.

However, still not everything has a Section listed in the available file.

Here's the REAL problem:

in /sw/etc/apt/sources.list:

#deb file:/sw/fink unstable main crypto

Need to uncomment that.

Now "sudo dselect update" scans all the packages, and.. they have sections!

% grep Section available | wc -l
1196

Basically, like the comment in sources.list the file says, sources.list needs to be kept in sync with fink.conf. Any user who followed the 10.2 update instructions will likely have them out of sync because we didn't say to do that in the steps. Though it should work fine for "stable" packages, and that is probably all that really matters since there is no unstable binary distro yet.

And it still might be useful to have fink add the section to the control file so they are added automatically without having to dselect update.

-Ben