On Wednesday, November 27, 2002, at 07:27  PM, David wrote:

The main reason for having such an account still holds, namely, that I do not have to turn people away who WANT to donate. I am not going to actively ask for it.

Collecting money from people on the basis that it might come in useful someday is not a good idea. Once we start with money we will have to bring in the same amount as we are spending, we'd probably have spending committments for recurring costs, and we'd be screwed if those costs were not covered by donations.

If you have proposals as to how such funds should be used, and can cost these ideas, then we can start the discussion about collecting money. Vague ideas about where it could be spent are not a good reason to start asking people for money, don't say that you don't want to turn away people who want to donate, it is quite easy to tell them to choose a charity instead.

I personally do not see an absolute need to collect money from users at this point in time.

Peter