At 14:44 Uhr -0500 30.01.2003, David R. Morrison wrote:
Sure, but I think there are really two things going on.

1) If you have an old imlib and are building a package which links libpng3,
there is no way you can ever build it correctly.
Could somebody explain to me why exactly this is a problem? Does either imlib or libpng use flat_namespace or what? Or does imlib expose libpng structures in its API, thus causing inconsistencies?

In the first case, it might be possible to fix this (subissue) by using two level namespaces, no?

2) If you've updated imlib, then once in a while, due to a bug in fink,
you'll have a problem with libpng vs. libpng3.  You'll have the same
problem with any other pair of packages which are designed for BuildDepends
and which might replace each other in the build process.

Now, problem #2 can be addressed in the particular case of KDE by making
sure that anything KDE depends on, even indirectly, has been properly
upgraded to libpng3.  However, problem #2 cannot be addressed in general
without modifying fink.
Yup. Am going to write a big mail on the dependency issues & plans on how to do it all better

Cheers,

Max