On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 01:02  PM, Bill Bumgarner wrote:

curl -P - -f -L -s -S -O ftp://www-126.ibm.com/pub/jikes/1.18/jikes-1.18.tar.bz2

.... and now it works fine. I see that NOT setting 'ProxyPassiveFTP' should do the same, but it appears not.

Actually, I just did a 'fink configure' and answered....

Use passive mode FTP transfers (to get through a firewall)? [Y/n]

.... 'n' to this question and it fixed the problem. That seems counter-intuitive.

curl -P is the command to disable PASV, and use PORT instead:

man curl "-P ... This switch makes Curl use the PORT command instead of PASV."

Therefore, saying "no" to the "use passive mode?" adds the -P.

What would be a better phrasing? I can't think of an opposite way to phrase the question that would be any less confusing..
"Disable passive mode FTP transfers? [y/N]" doesn't seem much better, really... i dunno..

Perhaps the counterintuitive thing is the name of the "ProxyPassiveFTP" variable, which is confusing since its a boolean. We have talked about that before on IRC i think. The name should be something like "UsePassiveFTP". Unless we wanted to be able to allow the user to specify an FTP proxy address to give to -P, though i've never seen anyone requesting or needing that.

-Ben

-P/--ftpport <address>
(FTP) Reverses the initiator/listener roles when
connecting with ftp. This switch makes Curl use the
PORT command instead of PASV. In practice, PORT
tells the server to connect to the client's speci-
fied address and port, while PASV asks the server
for an ip address and port to connect to. <address>
should be one of:

interface i.e "eth0" to specify which interface's
IP address you want to use (Unix only)

IP address i.e "192.168.10.1" to specify exact IP
number

host name i.e "my.host.domain" to specify machine

- (any single-letter string) to make it
pick the machine's default