On Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003, at 20:38 US/Eastern, Ben Hines wrote:
Use passive mode FTP transfers (to get through a firewall)? [Y/n]

.... 'n' to this question and it fixed the problem. That seems counter-intuitive.
curl -P is the command to disable PASV, and use PORT instead:

man curl "-P ... This switch makes Curl use the PORT command instead of PASV."

Therefore, saying "no" to the "use passive mode?" adds the -P.

What would be a better phrasing? I can't think of an opposite way to phrase the question that would be any less confusing..
"Disable passive mode FTP transfers? [y/N]" doesn't seem much better, really... i dunno..
I would think that answering 'n' -- disabling passive -- would work much better with firewalls. It is certainly a requirement for NAT translating routers (airport base stations and cable/dsl routers, included).

So -- the question seems to have the wrong statement in parens. I.e. if written in the same tense, it would be something like:

Use passive mode FTP transfers (less comptaible with a firewall and/or NAT)? [Y/n]

Only, I'd make the default 'N'.

But that still seems somewhat unnecessarily negative. How about:

Disable passive mode FTP (more compatible with firewalls, cable/dsl routers, and airport base stations)? [Y/n]

(After having recently configured Linux and having dealt with the umpteenth million question for which <cr> works just fine for 90% of the users, I have to ask whether or not there is a point to asking this question? The only people that will have enough of a clue to decide to use Passive mode are also the people that would be able to figure out how to edit a configuratino file or run 'fink advanced-configure' [feature request])

b.bum